Dear Parents/Guardians and Community Members:
We continue to experience an increase in reported COVID (+) cases. The District was notified that four more members of the school community, two at Walsh Intermediate School, one at Mary T. Murphy School and one at John B. Sliney School, have tested positive for coronavirus (COVID-19), bringing the total number of COVID (+) cases to 22 since school reopened. The affected persons were last in school on November 9, 2020, November 13, 2020, November 10, 2020 and November 11, 2020 respectively. Each has been instructed to remain on home isolation for 10 days. Anyone who would be considered a “close contact” of these people has already been contacted by school officials and/or public health officials and provided with instructions on the appropriate steps to take.
We ask that parents/guardians, students, and staff continue to follow CDC guidance for healthy practices, to monitor their health, and to stay home and contact their medical provider should they experience any of the symptoms below.
- Fever (100.4° Fahrenheit or higher)
- Chills or shaking chills
- Uncontrolled new cough (not due to other known cause, such as chronic cough)
- Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath
- New loss of taste or smell
- For additional information on COVID-19 symptoms, please see the CDC website at the address below: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/symptoms-testing/symptoms.html
With the approaching holiday it is imperative we all adhere to the State of Connecticut travel restrictions. Our school district will continue to monitor the evolving crisis and appreciates your partnership in making choices that help to keep our staff, students, and community safe.
Hamlet M. Hernandez
Superintendent of Schools