July 28, 2021
With the approach of the 2021 -2022 school year, the CT DPH and CSDE have jointly released a document titled: Interim Recommendations for COVID-19 Prevention in Connecticut’s PreK-12 Schools. Click here to access it. I encourage you to familiarize yourself with what it says. We expect further guidance from the State in the next few weeks and will continue to share information about what you can expect for your child this fall. We are committed to providing a safe and positive learning experience for all students. The information below is to help you prepare for the school year. Periodic updates will be provided and posted on our website.
Things to Know and Plan for:
- The District will be guided by the DPH.
- In-person instruction is a priority. BPS plans to start the year fully in-person.
- No option exists for Voluntary Remote Instruction.
- Face coverings will be required of all BPS students and staff in school and on the bus.
- Every attempt to socially distance (3’ or more between students) will be made.
- The use of outdoor eating space will be used as long as the weather is appropriate
- Ventilation systems will continue to be inspected and maintained.
- Cleaning protocols will continue to be followed.
- More information about protocols for COVID+ cases will be provided later this summer.
- Extracurricular activities will begin either on time or with minimal delay/modification.
- Student-athletes will receive additional information about interscholastic sports.
Things you and your family can do:
- Follow the rules, set the example.
- If eligible, get vaccinated.
- Wash your hands regularly.
- If unvaccinated, avoid indoor congregate settings.
- Do not send your children to school if they are symptomatic.
- Have a plan in case your child is required to isolate or quarantine.
Hamlet M. Hernandez
Superintendent of Schools