Dear Parents and Community Members:
In the past two days, the District was notified that three members of the school community tested positive for coronavirus (COVID-19). These cases, one at Mary T. Murphy and two at Walsh Intermediate School, were unrelated. The affected persons have been instructed to remain on home isolation for 10 days. Anyone who is considered a “close contact” with these people will or may already have been contacted by school officials and/or public health officials and provided with instructions on the appropriate steps to take.
In collaboration with the East Shore Health Department, the District has determined that there is no reason to close school or cancel in-person classes due to the sufficiency of the District’s current cleaning protocols and mitigation measures. We ask that parents/guardians, students, and staff continue to monitor their health and to stay home and contact their medical provider should they experience any of the symptoms below.
- Fever (100.4° Fahrenheit or higher)
- Chills or shaking chills
- Uncontrolled new cough (not due to other known cause, such as chronic cough)
- Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath
- New loss of taste or smell
- For additional information on COVID-19 symptoms, please see the CDC website at the address below: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/symptoms-testing/symptoms.html
As anticipated with the onset of cooler weather, our area’s COVID-19 positivity rate has begun to increase. Our school district will continue to monitor the evolving crisis and appreciates your partnership in making choices that help to keep our staff, students, and community safe.
Hamlet M. Hernandez
Superintendent of Schools